Bully: A person who is habitually cruel or overbearing, especially to smaller or weaker people.

Bully: A person who is habitually cruel or overbearing, especially to smaller or weaker people.

Become a Follower

BECOME A FOLLOWER:
This blog is designed to help get the word out about bullying. If you or someone you know is being targeted by a bully, become a follower of my blog and share it with friends. I invite everyone to comment and share their story. Together we can stand up against bullying to let those that are hurting by its effects know that they are not alone and they are not to blame.

Special Note:

*All youth names have been changed to protect their privacy.

Contact Me

I would love to hear your stories, answer your questions, and get your feedback. If you wish to contact me, you may do so by emailing me at sistersloveblog@yahoo.com. Thank you for reading, following, and sharing my blog. Find me on facebook: http://www.facebook.com/pages/A-Sisters-Love-An-Inside-Look-at-Bullying/233030516730555?sk=wall

Thursday, July 28, 2011

'05 Bully Case Resurfaces to the News

Back in 2005 different issues were important to me then they are today. In 2005, my son was only 4... My sisters were only 6 and 7... what does bullying matter when the kids in your life are that young? Surprisingly enough, it must have meant more to me then I thought. Now here it is 6 years later and I vividly remember reading about a high schooler who was suspended over actions on the internet. A girl created a website that's intention was to bully a fellow student. At the time, I probably thought to myself... that would never happen to the kids in my life. While the exact scenario of course hasn't happen (knock on wood, say a prayer, whatever superstition you have please do it so that it never happens to the ones I love), I was way off base when I thought bullying wouldn't be an issue I'd have to tackle. Now it seems it's the only issue that I ever concentrate on when I'm not at work or dealing with my own personal drama.

Like previously promised, I've been searching the web for news stories of bullying incidents over the summer. Tonight, I found a follow up to the story that hit the news 6 years ago. It was stated that "Kowalski used the internet to orchestrate a targeted attack on a classmate and did so in a manner that was sufficiently connected to the school environment as to implicate the School District's recognized authority to discipline speech." This was the courts ruling despite the lawsuit that the student filed against, "...the school and five of its officers, contending that they violated her free speech and due process rights. She claims the school was not justified in disciplining her, because her speech did not occur during a 'school related activity,' but rather was 'private out-of-school speech.'"

This decision means that there's hope yet when these bullies attack my sister using the internet. There is a legal ground to stand on when I argue that the activities on the internet DO impact the school environment regardless of what time of day the actions are occurring. These kids still have to interact with each other on a daily basis knowing that so and so posted something hateful and most likely untrue about them the night before. It's about time for the law to catch up with the technology. If you ask me, cyberbullying needs to be something that is punishable to the same extent as you would slander or heck even aggravated assault in some cases.

Now as I'm putting these words from my brain to this text box, my previous post jumps to mind. How hypocritical do I sound? I just posted about being proud of the teacher for standing up for her right to free speech and then I applaud the punishment of this bully when she tries to use the same free speech argument.

Now --- I can tell you the main difference --- the student was aiming her hate directly, and publicly, at one specific individual. The teacher was channeling her hate in an indirect broad scope that didn't target any one specific person or group of people. Yes, I read a little more about the situation and found that the teacher used a clip art image that was seen as demeaning towards special needs kids - that I don't agree with and as an educator that was definitely not a wise decision on her part. (I also read her reasoning behind the choice of clip art images and can see an argument in both sides of the case) So in that respect, I do believe that there should be consequences for her actions -- which there were. She was suspended and made out to be a public enemy in the eyes of her community. But for there to be a continued problem with her teaching based on comments that weren't directed at a specific target... ? That's why I back the teacher and her right to free speech. The student was trying to cause mental anguish to a specific individual --- completely different playing fields.

So if the teacher is right to be suspended - then the student should fall subject to the same guidelines. Aren't teacher's suppose to lead by example? If so, then if a school can punish a teacher for actions done on the internet, shouldn't the school be able to punish the student for the same actions? Why can't all these schools get on the same page and stop this double standard that they are setting in the media? So there, now my thoughts have come full circle... or at least made an oval shape of some kind. I think.

Anyways, here's the initial article I read that prompted tonight's ramblings. (Notice if you follow the link to the comments I come to the defense of a woman posting about the problems her son faced with bullies....)

http://blogs.wsj.com/law/2011/07/28/court-backs-suspensin-of-high-schooler-for-alleged-online-bullying/

No comments:

Post a Comment