Bully: A person who is habitually cruel or overbearing, especially to smaller or weaker people.

Bully: A person who is habitually cruel or overbearing, especially to smaller or weaker people.

Become a Follower

BECOME A FOLLOWER:
This blog is designed to help get the word out about bullying. If you or someone you know is being targeted by a bully, become a follower of my blog and share it with friends. I invite everyone to comment and share their story. Together we can stand up against bullying to let those that are hurting by its effects know that they are not alone and they are not to blame.

Special Note:

*All youth names have been changed to protect their privacy.

Contact Me

I would love to hear your stories, answer your questions, and get your feedback. If you wish to contact me, you may do so by emailing me at sistersloveblog@yahoo.com. Thank you for reading, following, and sharing my blog. Find me on facebook: http://www.facebook.com/pages/A-Sisters-Love-An-Inside-Look-at-Bullying/233030516730555?sk=wall

Wednesday, July 20, 2011

Letter to Editor -- Not so fun reviews...

So the letter that I wrote in to the editor of the local newspaper, was published today. After getting home, I checked to see if there was a link online. There was. There were also comments left. I shouldn't let it get to me, but the negative comments were painful to read. The letter as it appeared in the paper:

I am just as outraged by Munster schools forcing laptops on their students. But beyond the price tag, lack of communication and lack of choice, the real heart of the issue: Is it really wise to add so much extra computer time to a generation that is already lacking the social skills necessarily to survive in the real world?

Now, cyberbullies who had access to a computer only in the evenings or on weekends can torment their victims 24/7 — and the school is giving them this power. I have yet to read what monitoring is going to be put in place to ensure social networking isn't taking place during school hours.

Munster Superintendent Richard Sopko commented in the original article: "We have to give students a protective environment, and we lose control of that if we open it up to using their own laptops." I want to know how the school environment will be protected with the mass introduction of all of these "weapons" in the hands of cyberbullies.

— Nina Brown, Schererville

http://www.nwitimes.com/news/opinion/mailbag/article_e724693e-c33f-5abe-aaa0-6e93d7c56f43.html


So after seeing my letter displayed in print on the computer screen, I noticed that there were 5 comments to what I wrote:

TAX PAYER said on: July 20, 2011, 7:15 am
Interesting question. I remember when I was a kid. One of the problems was "No one saw him doing it." With computers, that problem goes away. If reported to the proper authorities, on-line bullying should be a one day problem.

Mill said on: July 20, 2011, 9:53 am
Nina, you don't know much about modern technology, do you? Any kid who has a phone with web service can already cyberbully in school.

If the computers belong to the school as these will, the school has the right and the ability to look at history on the machine. The problem is much worse with home/private computers because the school can't access those.

Phantom and Lois Respawned said on: July 20, 2011, 10:12 am
I guess Nina doesn't realize the "real world" of today IS on the computer....

jdmcmkp said on: July 20, 2011, 12:40 pm
they told us at the meetings that social sites were blocked. but we all know if there is a will there is a way around it.

nwimomto2 said on: July 20, 2011, 2:01 pm
Nina, is it wise to have three large towns/cities sharing ONE high school? Is it wise to have your children studying in trailers? You deal with your issues and let us deal with ours.

REALLY?! The "real world of today IS the computer?" I don't know much about modern technology? I don't have a legitimate right to be upset over a school district in a town I don't live in? My heart raced. My hands shook. I was so upset. I'm not one that takes criticism laying down --- or very well for that matter. So, I respond to the naysayers...


Jaysmomma said on: July 20, 2011, 7:41 pm
For starters -- I'm a former Munster Graduate who still has siblings in the Munster school district. So I do see this as my problem. My baby sister is a victim of bullying at school as well as through the internet. While computers are great and necessary, they shouldn't run our entire lives. The real world is all around you, not just what you can see on the LCD screen in front of you.


I got so upset by the comments made by "nwimomto2" that I had to send a message directly to her. I don't know why I felt the need to explain myself, but I had to show her how ignorant she was being. This is what I sent her:

I would just like to ask, how can you comment about the relevance of my concern for Munster schools? Just because I live in Schererville, doesn't mean that I don't have a connection. I have a younger sister attending schools in Munster. My sister has been a victim of bullying, both online and in school, and the school nor the authorities have taken action. This is a genuine concern of mine. I worry every day that my sister will get pushed too far by these bullies. There's ways to get around blocked sites. I have a degree in technology and have spent 7 years selling and fixing computers. I'm no fool when it comes to this stuff. And as far as attacking the school district in which I raise my child... I welcome any feedback that would help to improve his school from any source. My son is an honor student and excels in the environment that Lake Central provides. -- That's all I have to say. I just hope that whatever anger I brought forth by my opinion has subsided just a smidge by understanding where my words come from.

Like I said, I don't like being so harshly criticized. My uncle made an excellent point when he knew I was upset over the comments left. They comment like that BECAUSE they don't have all the information, and besides, I was published, not them!

Anyways, if you feel compelled to do so, please leave your comments on the letter. Positive or negative, though admittedly preferably positive. ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment